HOME

ADMINISTRATION

MAYOR
CITY COUNCIL
CITY HALL

CITY DEPARTMENTS

POLICE DEPT
STREET DEPT
FIRE DEPT

RECREATION

COMMUNITY INFO
HISTORY

 

 

HISTORY OF PHIL CAMPBELL

       In the 1880s, a railroad work crew leader and engineer by the name of Phillip Campbell (originally from England) established a work camp near the location of modern Phil Campbell. Mel Allen, a prominent local businessman, told Mr. Campbell if he would construct a railroad depot and add a side track to the stretch of railroad going through the area, he would name the subsequent town after Campbell. Mr. Campbell built both the depot and siding, which led to Phil Campbell being the only town in Alabama to have both the first and last names of an individual. The first school in Phil Campbell was a two story frame building constructed in 1910. It was located at the back of the Phil Campbell Methodist Church. The school was subsequently destroyed by fire. The second school was constructed in 1915 and was located at the site of the present school on Alabama State Route 13 in Phil Campbell. This school was a small wooden building. Like the previous school, this school was also destroyed by fire. The fire began at six o'clock in the evening on Christmas Day, 1924.During the next two years, school was held in local church buildings, the town's former bank building, and the U.S. Post Office building located near the railroad. Graduation services for the first accredited Phil Campbell High School class were conducted in the Phil Campbell Methodist Church. The year was 1926 and the class had eight graduating members. The third Phil Campbell school was completed in 1926. There were two buildings, a main classroom building and a vocational school. After the main building was destroyed by fire in 1954, the present school buildings were constructed.

Newspaper Article - How Phil Campbell Got It's Name by Richard Sheridan

 
 

PHIL CAMPBELL

   
 

Historical Photos

AERIAL PHOTOS

Phil Campbell 1949

Phil Campbell 1958

Phil Campbell 1963

Phil Campbell 1972

   

CONTACT US
Town of Phil Campbell
PO Box 489
580 Railroad Street
Phil Campbell, AL 35581
Ph: 205-993-5313
Fax: 205-993-4888

Site Designed & Maintained by
Copyright 2010 - 2011
Official Website of the Town of Phil Campbell
All Rights Reserved.